Know the Licenses You Need for Operating Warehouse Equipment

19 December 2016
 Categories: , Blog


When you want to work in a warehouse or production facility or you're in charge of such a facility, you need to understand the various types of licenses that are needed for operating certain pieces of heavy-duty equipment. This is because a forklift license or commercial truck license doesn't mean you're legally allowed to operate all machinery in that facility; there are even differences between those forklift licenses themselves. Note a few licenses you may need to obtain or check to ensure your workers have in order to safely and legally operate certain pieces of equipment in a manufacturing or production facility or other similar setting.

Forklift licenses

There are two types of forklift licenses you can get in Australia; one is called an LO, and this only allows you to operate order pickers and stockers. These are not standard forklifts with the long, heavy, dangerous forks in front of them and are also not typically driven like a separate vehicle but may only move slowly with the use of hydraulics and a simple engine.

An LF license allows you to operate any type of forklift, except order pickers. Note that you need both types of licenses to operate both a forklift and an order picker.

Lift licenses

Scissor lifts, boom lifts, personnel cranes, and other such equipment used for lifting and lowering personnel and not just pallets need separate licensing than a forklift license. These need more training than you would get with forklift operating classes, as many of these lifts will have knuckles along their arms so the arm can move forward as well as up and down. Note that each type of lift will have its own type of license required, and anyone operating them may also need a license for working at elevated heights in addition to their operator's license.

Bobcat licenses

Bobcats and skid steer loaders are also considered different than forklifts, as digging is, of course, much different than just transporting materials. Bobcats and other earthmoving equipment are also typically only used outdoors where the operator will need to evaluate the soil conditions and the weather conditions, as these will affect the safe handling of the equipment. These pieces will typically require what is called a civil construction skid steer loader license.

Note, too, that anyone using a bobcat may also need a white card, which is a separate type of license for construction sites in particular. The white card covers basic safety procedures and other training needed for construction work.

For more information, contact local professionals like All Onsite Training and Assessment.